Friday, September 18, 2009

Miki Black

The early years
Here's my life story in a nutshell: I was born and eventually I will die. Oh, you want more? I'm flattered!
OK, I was born on May 31st and due to the fact that I have stopped aging, I cannot disclose the year (that was part of the deal). I am definitely a Gemini, a very strange breed and the sign of the Twins.
My ethnicity is Japanese/Caucasian. My mother and father met in Okinawa, Japan when my father was in the Army Special Forces. They married, had my brother, moved back to the States and had me. No, I was not raised as your stereotypical "military brat", but we did attend many crazy Special Forces reunions growing up
I spent my early childhood in the Midwest, my elementary and junior high years in Saudi Arabia of all places, and back to the Midwest for high school and college. I was quite the problem child back in the day so we'll leave most of those details out. Believe me, I was an unusually evil teen. What saved my ass throughout were my art, music and a supportive family.
During my years overseas, I was lucky enough to have traveled with my family all over the world. Before my teens, I had already traveled to Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Greece, Italy, France, England, Ireland, Thailand, Japan, Singapore, Korea, and Saudi Arabia, and I'm probably even forgetting a couple places. These were mostly vacations that we took as a family during just about every holiday break that we were given. After all, living in Saudi Arabia was no picnic so we took advantage of every travel opportunity that we could. As a result of living in a foreign country for six years, combined with all the traveling that we did, the experiences and sights that I've seen have caused me to view the world from a very unique perspective. It's also contributed well to my insanity!
What I'm doing now
During my years overseas, I was lucky enough to have traveled with my family all over the world. Before my teens, I had already traveled to Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Greece, Italy, France, England, Ireland, Thailand, Japan, Singapore, Korea, and Saudi Arabia, and I'm probably even forgetting a couple places. These were mostly vacations that we took as a family during just about every holiday break that we were given. After all, living in Saudi Arabia was no picnic so we took advantage of every travel opportunity that we could. As a result of living in a foreign country for six years, combined with all the traveling that we did, the experiences and sights that I've seen have caused me to view the world from a very unique perspective. It's also contributed well to my insanity!
I always had a love for the arts, so when it came time for college I pursued the field of Graphic Design. I received my B.F.A. in Commercial Art/Computer Design from Millikin University, a small private liberal arts college in Illinois and worked as a Graphic Designer for a few years. Meanwhile, I had been dreaming about making the journey across the country to Southern California and I finally did just that in the fall of 1999. No regrets! This is truly the best weather in the country and the job opportunities are unreal.
I started modeling in 2001, after realizing that desk jobs are just not for me. You see, I'm a little hyper and I tend to complain just a bit when I'm confined, so sitting for eight hours a day is like a form of torture for me. Modeling has definitely been rewarding. I've modeled quite a range from beauty to glamour to fashion.
In 2002, I began focusing on music, namely the guitar, which I've been playing since my early teens. I'm now working on some amazing music projects and I only wish that I had moved to Cali years ago.
I love what I'm doing now. Every day is an adventure. I meet tons of people and it sure breaks the monotony of a nine-to-fiver. There is still so much more that I have yet to accomplish. What does the future hold? I couldn't tell you. I can tell you this...it will definitely be an interesting journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment